The ARFOR Challenge Fund is open to collaborative applications between individuals, organisations, community groups or businesses who are prepared to demonstrate an innovative solution to a challenge that exists in their local community (Anglesey, Gwynedd, Ceredigion, Carmarthenshire).
We are keen to create enterprising communities by supporting commercial and community enterprises that aim to preserve and increase local wealth. We want to take advantage of the identity and unique qualities of our areas, support the use and visibility of the Welsh language, encourage collaboration and establish strong partnerships, create opportunities for young people and families (≤ 35 years old) to stay or return to their indigenous communities, and support them to succeed locally by taking risks or developing a career and ensuring a livelihood that fulfils their aspirations.
The purpose of the fund is to pilot new and innovative solutions to real challenges that exist in the ARFOR area (Anglesey, Gwynedd, Ceredigion, Carmarthenshire) to strengthen the relationship between the economy and the Welsh language. These can be at a local and/or regional level with the aim of improving community cohesion to ensure economic opportunities linked to the Welsh language, creating opportunities for more people to live and work through the medium of Welsh.
The project focuses on bringing organisations together, to collaborate and solve local and regional challenges, and to pilot innovative ideas that can become commercial entities in the long term to ensure the economic vitality of communities and enable people to live and work in Welsh areas.
We are looking for projects that will;
- Use the Welsh language to stimulate economic growth.
- Strengthen the evidence of the link between the Welsh language and the economy.
- Pilot new, innovative solutions to the challenges of the ARFOR area.
- Add value and ensure benefit to the wider community.
- Encourage collaboration and demonstrate clear partnerships.
- Operate in more than one Local Authority (Sir Fôn, Gwynedd, Ceredigion,
Carmarthenshire) where possible.
- Create new Welsh language spaces (physical and/or digital) providing the best
conditions for people to work, use and enjoy the Welsh language.
The Small Challenge Fund will award up to £30,000 to research and development projects. The Large Challenge Fund will award up to £100,000 per project.
- Complete the ‘Expression of Interest’ form outlining the challenge/s that have been identified, potential solution and projected project costs.
- Following the expression of interest, a member of the Challenge Fund team will contact you to discuss further and identify your specific project needs. You will also be invited to attend relevant workshop/s.
- Following your attendance at the workshop/s, you will be required to complete a Challenge Fund Application Form.